View Single Post
Old 23-04-2021, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 620 / Power: 11
DoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to allDoctorTan is a name known to all
Re: Circumcision: my experience

Circumcision is essentially a very simple procedure - removal of the foreskin. The skin can be cut away with scissors, blades, lasers, electrocautery etc etc. It really does not make much difference.

The trick is how to keep the edges of the cut skin firmly together so that it heals properly. Given the added complexity that the area tends to expand now and then. Not only in terms of length but also girth.

In the good old days this was achieved with simple suturing. Albeit suture material technology and techniques have improved.

Then came all sorts of devices like the ShangRing and Staplers etc. All with the same goal in mind. That is to grip the cut edges of the skin tightly together while it heals.

Devices can sometimes fail. And your attending Doctor should be trained enough to fall back on conventional methods. I have been called back to save circumcisions before when the ShangRing slipped off in the middle of the procedure.

Ideally removal of the ShangRing should not be painful. If it is painful it means the skin has not completely sealed and is separating because the ring is removed. However, I understand that some patients are unable to tolerate the ShangRing and would want to remove it sooner. When the ShangRing is removed too soon, the removal process is painful.

While most circumcisions are done under local anesthesia, some patients do request for GA. It really makes no difference to the procedure. You just pay more for the anesthetist and longer stay in the surgical center.

Now for some admin: You can use Medisave to pay for circumcisions but the amount you can use is capped at $650. This does not pay for the full procedure and you will still be out of pocket. Most insurance hospitalisation plans also can be used.

I recently wrote an article on circumcision. You can find more useful info there.

https://drtanmenshealthblog.com/2021...hat-to-expect/