View Single Post
Old 17-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 100 / Power: 19
jaxel80 deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guyjaxel80 deserves two Tigers! - He's a Great Guy
Re: All you need to know about STD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTan View Post
Please allow me to give my take on this.

I see a lot of patients who request to be tested for "everything". I understand that what they want is a sort of guarantee to be free of diseases.

Now, the problem is such tests do not exist. Even without taking into account that testing can be inaccurate, the fact is there are diseases we are unable to test for.

For example Wart causing HPV, Scabies, Lice, Molluscum Contagiosum (and these days Monkeypox) etc. So don't be surprised that a month after your "full test on all type of sexual disease", you start developing symptoms.

The other problem is certain tests like test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea are site specific. In other words, even if you test clear for Gonorrhea in your urine this does not mean you do not have it in your throat.

So if you test for all the STIs we can possibly test for in all the sites we can possibly test, honestly your total bill will be closer to $2,000. Yes two thousand dollars. Crazy. AND this does not even guarantee you that you are absolutely 100% disease free.

So what most clinics do is they come up with these "comprehensive STI screening packages" for a few hundred dollars which unfortunately are not very comprehensive.

My personal approach to this is to understand from the patient what his exposures have been and what his concerns are. Then tailor the tests accordingly. I will explain to the patient what we are NOT testing for and why. TBH most patient just need to screen for 4 things - HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. And the price tag for this should be closer to $200.
Can anybody advise me which is the best place to get myself tested for these 4 (HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea), and how many days after exposure should I go get tested for these 4 for the tests to be accurate?

Thanks in advance to all replies!