View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1222 / Power: 20
joew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud of
Re: Africa Cup of Nations 2012

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ailure?cc=4716

South Africa to appeal over ANC
October 9, 2011

The South African Football Association (SAFA) has registered an appeal with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) over its side's failure 2 qualify 4 the 2012 African Nations Cup tournament.

South Africa were held 2 a goalless draw against Sierra Leone &, despite finishing top of Group G on goal difference, were denied a place @ the finals. The reason was tat they were tied on 9 points with Sierra Leone & Niger (with Egypt in 4th place) & rule 14.1 of the CAF regulations maintains tat a mini-league betw the concerned teams is the 1st method of separating them. Niger's 6 points fr the games therefore saw them thru.

However, in a letter addressed 2 CAF, the SAFA states: "We hv noted tat CAF has announced tat Niger has qualified in our group, despite South Africa finishing on top of the group in terms of goal difference, which is the universally recognised means of separating teams who r equal on points.

''We understand tat u r using rule 14.1 to make your determination. However, we believe tat the team finishing top of the log @ the end of the competition is automatically determined @ the end of 90 mins play, & tat the 2nd place is determined by the other rules. We will lay out our objection more fully shortly, but in the meantime wish 2 signal tat we intend 2 challenge tis interpretation & application of the rules."

SAFA president Kirsten Nematandani said aft the game: "Do not despair, all is not lost. We believe we hv a case & we will carry tis fight all the way. If CAF's rules r ambiguous then we need 2 challenge tat & we r well within our rights 2 do so. In the meantime be positive, & leave everything in our hands."

South Africa openly celebrated wat they thought was a successful result aft the game b4 being told otherwise, & coach Pitso Mosimane has admitted tat he was in the wrong.

"It's very sad 4 South Africa becos the country deserves 2 be in next year's Nations Cup. I feel like I hv failed," he said. "Do u think I would hv left [striker Lehlohonolo] Majoro on the bench & put on a midfielder if I knew tat we needed a goal? It doesn't make sense.

"Africa is a jungle, my friend. The European & South American formats r so much better becos everything is running smoothly, but it's very difficult 2 play in Africa."